KUIH KERIA RECIPE
1 Japanese Yam (about 500g or 1lb)
1/2 cup flour
Oil for frying
1/2 cup sugar
1. Boil the sweet potato/yam until it is soft. Poke it with a fork to make sure it is soft. Drain and peel the skin off.
2. In a bowl, mash the sweet potato and gradually add the flour. Mix them until it form a dough. The dough should still be a bit sticky. Be careful not to add in too much flour which will result in a hard Kuih Keria.
3. On a floured surface, form balls about 2in big. (If they stick to your hand, dip your hand in a bowl of flour before you touch the dough.) Poke a hole in the middle with your finger and make a donut shape.
4. Heat oil in a pan or wok to medium heat and fry the donuts. Don't over crowd the pan. Turn once until golden brown both side. Drain on paper towel. Let them cool.
5. In another wok/pan, make the syrup by boiling sugar with water until it thickens. Make sure they are really thick before you add in the donuts. Make sure all are coated with the syrup and continue on the fire until the sugar crystalised.
6. Serve immediately. It is super delicious when still warm. Just microwave for 10-20second if they get cold before you get to finish them.